Archive for February, 2011

I was just served with a divorce petition/family lawsuit…what now?

Monday, February 21st, 2011

The shock and swell of emotions can be immense…you were just served with court papers saying your spouse wants a divorce or your child’s other parent now wants to add/change/delete child support or visitation provisions!

It can be overwhelming yes, but it can be worked through.  Like many Houston divorce attorneys, I regularly counsel people in just this position, and the goal is to resolve as many of their uncertainties as possible.

There are a tremendous number of “urban legends” about divorce and family law so beware.  Your friends, neighbors, co-workers may be quick to tell you about what happened to them during their case, and most of the time these people in our lives are very well-intentioned and are trying to help and ease our minds.

Probably the thought that rattles me most is when folks say (or believe) that they don’t need an attorney even though their spouse has one.  Trust me….99 times out of 100, you need an attorney if your spouse or ex has one.  You can bet that their attorney knows family law, rules of evidence, and rules of civil procedure…all of which are instrumental to presenting your case to the judge.  Even the most merciful judges cannot make-up for an unrepresented party not getting things right.

So take some time to process this…you were served, now you can consult with a family lawyer who can help you solve this problem.  Call me today at (713) 370-7100.  My divorce information page is also a good start.

Take care, Eric (

Criminal defense attorney consultations

Thursday, February 10th, 2011

Criminal law is scary, and for most of my clients a brand new world they have never entered before (and hope to get out of as soon as possible).  I can’t tell you the number of times a new client looks like they are ready to pass out right in front of me when talking about their situation for the first time.

So before hyperventilating, take a moment to speak with a criminal defense attorney about your case.  What is the charge, the penalty range, the possible outcomes? What evidence does the state have against you? Is any of the state’s evidence tainted and cannot be used at trial? Was the police’s stop and subsequent arrest legal?

You owe it to yourself, your reputation, and your future, to talk to someone today about your matter.  If you wish to talk to me about your case, please feel free to call me at (713) 370-7100 or email me at In the meantime, please visit my website ( where you can preview some of the services I offer and get some insight about the matter.  Eric